The East Arapahoe Transportation Plan is a long-range plan that will consider a number of potential transportation improvements within the East Arapahoe corridor, including biking and walking enhancements, Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) and local bus service and automobile travel. The purpose of the plan is to:
- Address existing & future transportation needs, including local and regional travel.
- Facilitate safe travel & access by people using all modes – walking, biking, accessing transit, and driving.
- Support existing & future land use in the corridor.
Recommended Alternative Scheduled to go to Council
Based on input from the CWG, TAB and broader community feedback, staff is recommending Alternative 3, which includes:
- Maintaining two general purpose lanes in each direction throughout most of the corridor,
- Repurposing the existing curbside general-purpose travel lanes to accommodate a combination of Bus Rapid Transit (BRT), High Occupancy Vehicles (HOV), right-turning vehicles, and new shared technologies such as autonomous/connected vehicles, and
- Pedestrian and bicycle improvements including an off-street multiuse path and raised protected bike lanes.
This alternative is expected to decrease future travel times for all commuters, maintain auto travel time and provide a transit travel time competitive with the automobile. It is also expected to create greater visibility for cyclists and more separation from general traffic, increasing access and comfort for all people walking and bicycling.
Setting the long-range vision (Recommended Alternative) for the East Arapahoe corridor is the first step in a multi-year journey. Implementing the vision and advancing regional mobility improvements along the length of SH 7 between downtown Boulder and I-25/Brighton will be a long-term project for the City of Boulder and key local and regional partners. It will involve continued community outreach and engagement through each step.
Have you seen the design options?
Visit the East Arapahoe Transportation Plan homepage to review the recommendations and submit your comments.